In a previous article we discussed some foods that help with Adrenal Fatigue. Today, we will discuss some lifestyle habits to prevent adrenal fatigue or reverse it.
1. Avoid caffeine, sugars/sweeteners, processed and microwaved foods, and hydrogenated oils (soybean, canola, etc.)
2. Rest whenever you feel tired if you get the chance.
3. Have a normal sleeping cycle that puts you in bed ideally before 10 pm. (Even if you can’t do this, make sure your sleep is regular.)
4. Exercise periodically to reduce toxins. Taking a walk or run is excellent for your adrenal glands.
5. Eat on a normal, periodic cycle. That means avoiding late night snacking.
6. Stay positive. (Don’t beat down on yourself.) Avoid people who bring negativity in your life if you can.
(Read my article on Toxic Thoughts and Caroline Leaf here.)
7. Do something that makes you smile or laugh every day.
(You can do a gratitude checklist like this one.)
8. Try to reduce stress by simplifying your life as much as possible.
(One reason I choose to write about these topics in this blog is because it keeps me accountable to thinking about wellness related topics amongst a lot of school and work expectations. Thus, I am killing two birds with one stone by writing this blog. In addition, it is very stress relieving because I am combining something I am required to do with something I want to do.)
9. Have regular quiet time with God.
This important because this tends to reverse everything that may be causing you stress. Most importantly, it shifts your perspective to the eternal Kingdom, where none of the stresses today matter.
I struggle a lot with accepting my failures and limitations, as a lot of Type A Personalities. (See my article on eternal perspectives of success and failure. Keep in mind that when we look forward to eternity, we bring respect and honor to Jesus’ sacrifice.) To bring reverence to Jesus’ work, we realize that none that we do will ever supercede His work.
Remember that if God rested on the seventh day, then we, as made in His image, need to rest, too.
I have friends and mentor that make sure to plan Sabbath rest on a regular basis (even if it is a couple hours on a certain day).
“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
10. Get regular support for traumatic and stressful experiences.
The Eve Center of Cincinnati offers no cost counseling for women in Cincinnati as well as two other international locations (Shanghai, China and Albania).
Timeline to Cure Adrenal Fatigue
If you are concerned that you may be experiencing adrenal fatigue but aren’t sure, check out the following quiz.
Here are the durations for you to heal from adrenal fatigue.
1. Minor Fatigue: 6-9 Months
2. Moderate Fatigue: 12-18 Months
3. Severe Fatigue: Up to 24 Months (2 Years)
To read about how faith can help you with adrenal fatigue, read this article.
Please feel free to worship with us and share advice here at the Inbound Church <–Click!