I know many believe easily believe that Jesus was a great rabbi. However, fewer people believe he died on the cross and raised from the dead on the third day. That takes a lot more faith to believe in.
But how could Jesus be an amazing teacher if he said “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). If he did not rise from the dead, as he predicted, then he would be considered a blasphemer (to slander God), not a well-respected rabbi.
This leaves us with one conclusion. Each God was a crazy heretic or the almighty sovereign God. There is no in between. I believe he is Jesus Christ our Savior. I am by no means a biblical scholar, but here are the reasons why I think it makes sense to believe that Jesus rose from the dead.
8 Logical Reasons to Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus
1. His life and death were prophesied all throughout the old testament– A lot was prophesied long before Jesus even came to Earth. Such events included Jesus’ coming and death, mutilation of his body, betrayal by man and his disciples (even Judas’ betray for money), etc.
2. He was born a virgin birth– This proves that no man could create Jesus. Mary conceived Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 1:18-25).
3. He did not fight them when they wanted to kill them– A man that had no reason to be persecuted on a cross would naturally fight back. When his disciple, Simon Peter, tried to kill one of the guards (capturing Jesus) Jesus said “put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?” (John 18:11). This shows that Jesus knew he was sent to Earth to die for our sins.
4. He performed miracles– Jesus and his disciples, through their faith in Jesus, performed countless miracles that give evidence of how powerful Jesus really was. (Mark 1:40, 8:22-26, 14:13-21, John 2:1-11)
5. He knew Peter was going to deny him three times– Jesus told his disciples that one of them was going to deny him three times and Peter did. How does a regular rabbi know that is going to happen (Matthew 26:31-33)?
6. He was no longer in his tomb-When Mary Magdelene and Mary went to see Jesus’ body in the tomb he was not there and an angel visited them saying Jesus had risen to the dead. (Matthew 28:5-7)
7. He appeared to 500 people– Jesus not only appeared to his disciples but also to over 500 people. It would be rare for that many people to all be in conspiracy together. (1 Corinthians 15:3-11)
8. His disciples gave their life for Him-After Jesus died and rose again the disciples “turned the world upside down” (Acts 17:1-9). They knew speaking about Jesus could cost them their lives but they did anyway. In fact, almost all of them were persecuted for it. Why would they continue to spread the news about Jesus and how he died for our sins so that we could live if Jesus did not rise from the dead? There was literally nothing for them to gain in doing so.
These are the 8 logical reasons why I believe Jesus not only died on the cross for our sins so that we could be forgiven and live eternally in heaven, but also rose from the dead three days later. If he did not raise from the dead he would be a crazy person rather than our Savior. Instead, he defeated death and it no longer has any power over us.
If you would like to learn more about Jesus’ resurrection visit Origins Church and watch Scotty Neal’s Easter sermon.