I am quite curious to know how many churches in the Restoration Movement can be reached by email, that is the church has an email address that is active AND someone opens it AND someone reads it.
The Restoration Movement consists of independent Christian Churches and Churches of Christ.
How to Create an Active Email List of Pastors and Churches
- who is reachable
- which churches have an online platform (starting with a web site) of some sort
- which churches are active in a social network … probably but not limited to Facebook.
- who opens their email
- how many of the email addresses are dead ends – bounced
How Many Emails Get Read by Churches and Pastors?
- There are 3701 churches and pastors in the DOM … 3017 of them have email addresses. 81.5%
- We have emailed out to 1628 of the listed email addresses – 54% (in the coming week we will email the rest … in batches so as to not overwhelm our email client)
- Of those 1628 emails we get a 72.7% delivered rate. If this rate stays consistent we can estimate that of the 3017 emails … just 2,195 of the emails are actually any good … Or 59.3% of churches in the DOM can be reached by email … if we get 100% open and read rate … which we don’t.
- Surprisingly … the church admins or pastors do open their emails more often than the industry average of 10-15% (depending on the industry). We are getting an open rate of 33.2%.
Why Email Works … or Doesn’t
Email open rate numbers decline if the email content is not compelling … and grow if it is. Compelling being the key word.